Friday 1 May 2015

FORSAKEN by J.D. Barker


When horror author Thad McAlister began his latest novel, a `tale rooted in the witch trials of centuries past, the words flowed effortlessly. The story poured forth, filling page after page with the most frightening character ever to crawl from his imagination. It was his greatest work, one that would guarantee him a position among the legends of the craft.

But was it really fiction?

He inadvertently opened a door, one that would soon jeopardize the lives of his family.

She wants to come back.

At home, his wife struggles to keep their family alive. Secretly wondering if she caused it all…a deal she made long ago. A deal with the Forsaken


 

It’s been a while since I read a really gripping horror novel, but this one had me hooked.

Thad McAlister is a horror story writer. He is chronicling the story of a 17th Century witch trial, and he feels compelled to write it. 

The moment he finishes his book creepy things start to happen to Thad and his family, and I mean really creepy things. His wife and daughter are terrorized by evil creatures. I got the jitters going through their ordeal with them because the characterisation is so good, you can actually feel the horror the family are going through.

I was transported back to the 17th Century by snippets of Thad’s book that are interwoven throughout the novel. This works very well and helps to build up the tension.

The plot is great. The action doesn’t slow down for a minute. I never really understood the term ‘Tension building up to a crescendo’ before, but now I do. The ending is brilliant.

I have never read a book by J.D. Barker prior to this, but I will seek out his books in the future. He is a fabulous story teller.

I won’t give away any spoilers, but I will say that this book is genuinely scary. Definitely a 5* read. I thoroughly recommend it.

Available now on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forsaken-Book-Shadow-Cove-Saga-ebook/dp/B00P1W6RDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430685863&sr=8-1&keywords=forsaken+jd+barker
 

No comments:

Post a Comment